The opportunity: A B2B software company drove most of its site traffic through organic search and wanted to rank well for long-tail keywords.
Historically, the company had marketing staff that specialized in SEO and SEM.
The solution: The company optimized each page for a different keyword.
As I wrote and published new pages, I paid close attention to SEO and worked with the SEO specialist to make sure I was adhering to the finer points.
The results: I was able to achieve page one SERPs for new keywords.
When the SEO specialist moved on to a new company and wasn’t replaced, I was still able to achieve page one SERPs for new long-tail keywords.
I then SEO-optimized the page for the keywords I decided to target:
- URL address: Our company used a flat structure to keep keyword names as close to the root domain name as possible.
- Page title: I targeted a few synonymous keywords in the page title.
- Meta tags: I used keywords in the description and keyword tags.
- Image names: I included keywords in the names of image files.
- Copy: I included keywords in H1 and H2 headlines, as well as in body text.